Saturday, June 9, 2012

Adjourning


I just completed my 11th year of teaching and have worked with many wonderful people over that time.  The first school I worked at I stayed for 8 years.  I became very close to the five women I taught first grade with.  We all taught together for 4 years. We worked well together, had established norms and roles, and everyone respected each other.  When the first member of our team left, we met at a special restaurant for dinner and reminisced about the memories we had together.   As other group members left, we followed the same tradition.  In the past 4 years, we have all left the school but we keep in contact through Facebook and phone calls.  Some of us still live in town and we try to meet for dinner at least twice a year. 

I imagine adjourning from my colleagues at Walden with messages of thanks and well wishes.  We can keep in contact through the blogs we have developed during our course work. 

2 comments:

  1. Many adjourning experiences do include looking back on the past and reminiscing about the past and the moments shared, aren't they? We often build close relationships in places that we might not think, like our work environment, but because we spend the majority of our day with them, they become very close colleagues and even stronger friends.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back at some of the great groups I have been fortunate to be a part of has helped me grow in my professional life, and my personal life. When we spend so much time together it becomes a "family" and saying good -bye is often hard a bitter sweet, knowing we have made a change in each other and it is time to move on, yet not wanting to loose the commaraderie we have built.

    ReplyDelete