Saturday, May 5, 2012

Competent Communication

When I think of someone who demonstrates competent communication, I think of my husband, James.  James and I met when we were teaching at the same school.  His communication and listening skills were one of the many things that attracted me to him.  First of all, he is an amazing listener, he remembers the littlest things from conversations.  He is also very good at relating to every person he meets, even if he has very little in common with them.  He is fantastic with all of the families at our school and always finds ways to make them feel valued and welcomed.  He maintains good eye contact and is always very respectful and courteous, even if he does not agree with the person.

My husband and I at our wedding shower.
I would like to model my listening skills after my husband.  I do listen to people as they speak to me, but I  have a habit of getting lost in my own thoughts at times and missing some of the conversation.  I am not trying to ignore them or be disrespectful in any way, I just get distracted. I am so grateful to be married to such a wonderful man and am hoping to gain his listening skills. 






3 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh,
    It's great to be in class with you again! I have the same problem. I think I'm a good listener most of the time, but like you, I get distracted by my own thoughts. One thing I need to change is really taking the time to listen to people instead of trying to multitask and then missing what the person has said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh,
    It is good to know I am not the only one who gets lost in my own thoughts sometimes. I have realized to listen I really need to look at the person, otherwise my brain starts drifting to other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your husband has great communication skills. It is so important to find commonality with others! There have been times when I thought I didn't have anything in common with someone, but just by striking up a conversation and getting to know them a little bit better I discover that I do. Accepting others differences, and what makes us unique is also important. It sounds like your husband is a great role model for these skills! Great post!

    ReplyDelete