Sunday, May 20, 2012

Communication Differences

When I stop and think about communication and how I communicate with various people and groups of people in my life, I realize that I communicate differently based on the situation and who I am speaking to. I speak to my 2 year old son differently than I would speak to my administrator at school.  I speak to my close colleagues at school differently than I would speak to the parents of my students.  Both groups are in the same setting, but how I communicate with them would be a little different.  I would use more of an informal tone, with close friends and ensure I am speaking professionally with the parents of my students.  I have seen many teachers that speak the same way with their friends than they would with parents.  I also feel the level of listening would be different.  Of course I try to truly listen to everyone who speaks to me, but the level of listening in a professional setting is especially important.  When listening to the parents of my students, I need to ensure that I am truly listening to what they are saying and understanding how they are feeling.

This assignment has made me take a step back this week and truly look at how I communicate based on who I am speaking to.  It also made me aware of people around me and how they communicate.  In the front office of my school this week I observed teachers, office staff, students, and administrators communicating with each other.  I watched a group of students talking to the principal, once he walked away and they began speaking to their peers, their communication became much more informal and playful.    I enjoyed the assignment this week and became more aware of how we communicate in various settings. 

2 comments:

  1. Leigh,
    Like you, I seem to have a hyper-awareness recently about communication. I am continually observing others and how they communicate with one another and various groups of people. I am also finding that I am critiquing myself following various conversations. By doing this, I have learned a lot about what to do...and what NOT to do! I found myself surprised at the number of people who continue an informal tone even when the situation clearly calls for something else (transition from personal dialogue to what should be more professional). By slowing down and observing and listening more, I am finding that I am already becoming a more effective communicator!
    Thank you for sharing.
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that kids have a different dialect when they are talking to each other. They use more slang terms when they talk and text. If I did not keep up with the latest terms and slang I would be lost. My children have to keep me up with the latest cool hip-hop language most of the time.

    ReplyDelete