Friday, May 13, 2011

Public Health Issue

The topic I chose this week is breastfeeding. It is meaningful to me because I have been breastfeeding my son for over a year. It was difficult in the beginning because he wasn’t latching correctly, but after the help from many wonderful nurses, he latched on and it has been amazing ever since. Breastfeeding was important to me for many reasons, it is healthier for him, helped me heal quicker, and is free. The most important reason for me to breastfeed was the health benefits for my son. My husband and I are both teachers and come into contact with many kids on a daily basis. I wanted to give my son the immunities from my breast milk to help fight any illnesses we may bring home with us.
A website that has been my breastfeeding bible is www.kellymom.com . There is a wealth of information about breastfeeding, pumping and storing milk, and many other topics pertaining to breastfeeding. There is a link within the site that has information about breastfeeding from around the world. I found all of this information interesting; so I copied and pasted it to my blog. I especially found the information from Poland and the United States interesting.

Parenting magazine had some information on breastfeeding rates around the world in their April 1997 issue. Their article (p. 34) was entitled "Breastfeeding by the Numbers." The information below is from this article.
The World Health Organization and UNICEF have recommended for a decade that mothers breastfeed for at least two years. But most US women who nurse stop before their baby is six months old - and many never start at all. How do other countries stack up?
Breastfeeding Rates Around the World

Country % of mothers who start                    % who continue 6 months or longer
________________________________________
Sweden 98                                                                              53
Norway 98                                                                              50
Poland 93                                                                                10
Canada 80                                                                               24
Netherlands 68                                                                         25
Britain 63                                                                                 21
United States 57                                                                       20
________________________________________
Sources: Baby Milk Action, Cambridge, England; Center for Breastfeeding Information, Schaumburg, IL
Chart from www.kellymom.com

5 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh, Thanks fo shaing this information. Before this class, I had never thought about breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding since I don't have kids yet. I assumed I'd just bottle feed since that's what people in my family have done, but now it seems like many people are going back to breastfeeding even if they stop at six months. Most of the infants I work with are breastfed. Out of the six, there are only two that aren't and one of them is 18-months-old. What I think is great about it is that it helps the baby's immune system and it is overall healthier for them. Of course, its economical as well. A lot of information I've learned recently has changed my mind about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh, I learned a lot of interesting information about breastfeeding from your blog. Fortunately, my children are much older, but I appreciate the information to pass on to friends and family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your information on the rates in different countries, it was very interesting. I have been to www.kellymom.com and it was helpful through my own journey in breastfeeding. I applaud you for persevering in breastfeeding, I attempted for many weeks, but did not succeed. I have heard of some countries that promote/encourage breastfeeding until several years of age due to the benefits and lack of clean food & water. It is an amazing topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What good information. I am well past that stage in my life but enjoyed it as long as I could. I breastfed all four of my children. I only had a bit of problem with one and it was because I husband was in the Navy and sent to sea when the baby was one month old. He is grown and a healthy man so I guess it did not hurt him.
    Thanks for all the good sites for reference information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your posting. I feel the same way about breast feeding. I breast fed my son for over a year just stop February 2011.

    ReplyDelete