Saturday, May 7, 2011

Births in England

Pre-natal care, birth, and postpartum care, including home visits to help with breastfeeding, are covered by a tax-payer funded national health service. Midwives are very common and run prenatal clinics and labor wards. Home births in England are very common.

Thinking about my experience with the birth of my son, home births make me nervous. If I had tried a home birth, there could have been so many complications. His breathing problems after birth would also not have been dealt with in the same way. I am content with my hospital birth.

1 comment:

  1. Hi leigh!
    That's interesting. I didn't know that home births were common in England. I just assumed that births there were mostly hospital births like here. I think it's great that they send out home visiters to help with breastfeeding. In the Netherlands, they also have home visiters that even help with household chores.

    ReplyDelete