Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Childbirthing Experience

It has been a little over a year since I had my son Liam and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Due to some complications, I had a scheduled c-section. I was OK with that, I wanted him to come out the safest way possible. The c-section was scheduled for a Friday at 12:30 in the afternoon. We were told to get to the hospital at 10:30 to check in and get prepped. By 8:00 on that Friday morning my husband and I were ready to go. We walked around the house, sat in the baby's room, tried to watch some t.v., anything to kill time. Finally it was time to leave. On the ride to the hospital we kept saying that the next time we were in the car together, Liam would be with us. We still couldn't believe it.

On the way I reminded my husband that the c-section may not happen at 12:30 like it was scheduled, if there was an emergency with another birth, we would be bumped. Good thing I told him, by 2:00 we were still sitting in the hospital room waiting to go to the operating room. Good thing there was March Madness basketball on t.v. to keep my husband occupied. :) I just laid there and listened to Liam's heartbeat on the monitors.

Finally it was time to go! They wheeled me down, gave me the spinal, and laid me down flat on the table. I remember the sensation of feeling like I couldn't breath and then a wave of nausea. After that, my body calmed down and my husband came in. Within 10 minutes, Liam had made his arrival. I was crying and shaking and kept waiting for him to cry. My husband had walked over to be with him and I just kept asking, "is he ok?" Finally, the sweetest sound I have ever heard, my baby boy cried for the first time. After that, everything was a blur. I was asking to hold him but they were saying they wanted to watch his breathing so they were taking him to the NICU. They assured me he was fine, they were just taking precautions. They brought Liam to me and all I got to do was touch his cheek. Before I knew it my husband, Liam, and the doctors were gone. There were 2 nurses with me to bring me back to the recovery room.

The next 4 hours were horrible!!! My husband was in the NICU with Liam (which is where I wanted him to be) and all the doctors and nurses were gone. We have no family that lives by us, so I was by myself. All I could think of was holding my sweet little boy. A lactation consultant came in to talk to me and I have no idea what she said, all I wanted was Liam in my arms. Finally, they brought Liam to me and placed him on my chest. There are no words to describe how amazing it felt to hold him.

Our hospital stay was great. We had wonderful nurses who helped me breastfeed and we there for anything I needed.


Overall, I was pleased with my birthing experience. I was happy there was medical technology to discover a few complications that led us to having a c-section. The 4 hours of not seeing Liam were rough but I knew it was necessary to make sure he was healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment