Saturday, March 16, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels



The first organization I chose was the National Head Start Association.  “The National Head Start Association is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization committed to the belief that every child, regardless of circumstances at birth, has the ability to succeed in life” (nhsa.org).  I chose this organization because I work in an area with at risk children and families.  Many of the children who begin kindergarten in my room have never been to preschool because their families cannot afford to send them.  I usually have about five or six students per class who did attend preschool, and I notice a huge difference in their school readiness and social skills. They did not have any open positions advertised on their site, but, I would love to work for the organization and help families in at risk areas become aware of free or affordable preschool programs for their children.  

The second organization I chose was the National Association for the Education of Young Children (naeyc.org).  “NAEYC's mission is to serve and act on behalf of the needs, rights and well-being of all young children with primary focus on the provision of educational and developmental services and resources” (naeyc.org) This is an organization I discovered through my first class at Walden and I have found it to be an invaluable resource.  They have an entire section of their site and an upcoming conference dedicated to developmentally appropriate practices in early childhood education.  I have chosen the topic of developmentally appropriate practices in the kindergarten classroom for my capstone project and am excited to use this site to begin my research.  They have a position open for program coordinator to assist programs with the accreditation process.  This is a job I would ultimately love to have!  The skills necessary for this position are as follows:  “Knowledge of NAEYC’s early childhood program accreditation system, 1-2 years clerical/administrative experience, and experience handling a high volume calls are required.  Call center experience and an Associate’s degree preferred.  Experience in the field of early childhood education and a sound understanding of its practices is plus.  Excellent oral and written communication, MS Office and database skills are also required.  Must be able to meet deadlines, work independently and work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment” (naeyc.org).

The third organization I chose was Zero to Three – National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families.  Zero to Three “is a national, nonprofit organization that informs, trains, and supports professionals, policymakers, and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infants and toddlers” (zerotothree.org).  This is a site I also discovered through my studies at Walden and have found to be a wonderful resource.  I would like to serve on the board of directors for this organization and work to make positive change for young children and their families.  In order to serve on the board I would need to be well versed in research and early intervention programs relating to young children. 


References:

2 comments:

  1. Leigh,

    I have also found Zero to Three to be an excellent resource both as an educator and a mother. Serving on the board of directors would be great way to help influence quality early childhood care and education. With the experience you have as a teacher you could bring a lot of ideas and knowledge to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh,

    I have also found that children who do not attend preschool tend to struggle more in my class. These children require more one on one instruction. It seems that government officials are starting to take notice about the importance of early childhood education. Hopefully they will begin to work with organizations like the ones you mentioned to ensure that all young children have access to a quality early childhood education.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete