Sunday, September 25, 2011

Getting to Know My International Contact

I was able to contact a friend I used to teach with here in Las Vegas.  Her name is Tami Lence and she is now teaching in Xiamen Fujian, China.  She is teaching first grade, which she says is a big change for her from third grade she used to teach.  I am hoping to hear back from her in a few days regarding more information about teaching in Xiamen Fujian.  Until I do , I have done more research on the city.  Xaimen is a major city on the southeast coast of the People's Republic of China, and was ranked as China's second most suitable city for living.  In looking at http://www.childhoodpoverty.org/, I discovered that most of China's poor communities are located in the western regions of the country.  There is also poverty in the cities, due to unemployment.  This was taken directly from the childhoodpoverty.org website:  In towns and cities, high employment pressure is the critical issue in urban poverty. By 2003, 22.47 million urban residents in China were reported to have incomes below the poverty line.  Among them, 1,793,000 were employed, 5,184,000 had been laid off, 907,000 were retired and 4,091,000 were unemployed.

I cannot wait to continue my talk with Tami and find out more about her experiences teaching in China.  I am excited to broaden my knowledge about education and discover how poverty is impacting children around the world. 

4 comments:

  1. Great job utilizing the resources that we studied this week to follow up your posting! Dr. D will like that I am sure! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you are anxious to hear from Tami. I am amazed with the stories of poverty, it is everywhere, and it is the same. It affects children the most. How sad! but that is how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what I've learned the most over the past week's readings and research is that poverty is present everywhere! (Even countries with the lowest levels of poverty are still at 5%). And it's impact is the same regardless of the location--misery in the short-term, poor health/development, mental health, long-term unemployment, delinquency...and the list goes on!
    I'm looking forward to hearing more about your friend's experiences in China. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh, I look forwward to hearing more from your contact in China. I appreciate your initiative researching your contact's area. This information will help in your conversation with her.

    ReplyDelete