Saturday, January 19, 2013

Creating Affirming Environments



With my own children being so little, there are days I wish I could afford to stay home and have a child care center in my home.  This assignment was fun for me because it gave me more time to plan my little dream.  As I was thinking about this assignment, before I even watch the video for this week, I was thinking my center would have to have a space for children to calm down if they are upset when they leave their parents in the morning.  I was also thinking that there needs to be a way to communicate with the families on a daily basis.  Adriana Castillo had both of those in her amazing center.  After reading our text and watching the video, I also want an area to display artifacts or special pictures that families bring in.  “A useful rule of thumb is that more than half of the materials in the environment should reflect the identities of the specific children in that classroom”(Derman-Sparks, Olsen Edwards, 2010).  I would be sure to keep this in mind as I was preparing the center. I especially liked the list of cautions to consider when purchasing new items for the center on page 45 of our text, and would be sure to have it on hand as I was purchasing items for the center.      

I LOVED the skin color pillows Adriana Castillo had in her center and would be sure to have them in mine.  I would also be sure to have dolls, puppets, books, and puzzles depicting children of all races and ethnicities.  I would also have mirrors hanging in the play area so children can see themselves and their peers and have discussions about their differences as the notice them.  

Overall, I would hope that my center would feel like a home away from home for the children and a place where the parents would feel comfortable staying and visiting if time permitted.  I want it to be a place where children can discover who they are away from their own home environment and develop a life-long love for learning. 

References:
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J.O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

3 comments:

  1. The use of mirrors is an exciting idea! They are not used enough. The presence of mirrors can promote identity and when used intentionally can support wonderful art activities and cultural conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh I'm sure your family child care home would be filled with lots of educational and anti-bias materials, games, toys, and books. You mentioned that your wish to stay home and have your center. Have you ever though about making that transition? I feel your home home would suit all families. Keep wishing because I do believe wishes come true. Good luck from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh,
    Skin color pillows and puppets make for great conversation between children.They enjoy placing their arms and faces next to the pillows and seeing the difference/similarities. And I don't know of any child that don't like to look at themselves in the mirror. This is a great idea you have to have one in the play area. Now a day,more and more people are starting their own home daycare. I wish you the best if you pursue your dream to have your own.

    ReplyDelete